Harold Samuel Sawyer Congressional papers
The papers of Congressman Harold (Hal) Sawyer detail Sawyer's efforts on behalf of his constituency and his leadership in areas of anti-crime legislation, job creation, and the preservation and protection of the Great Lakes. The collection includes files from both his Washington and his Grand Rapids, Michigan offices and document his committee work including his participation on the Select Committee on Assassinations. Collection consists of photographs, surveys, congressional committee papers, sponsored legislation, voting records, office files, form letters, appointment books, election materials, news releases, press clippings, redistricting legislation, case files, contribution card files, posters, and videotapes of campaign ads.
Access to Materials
Collection is open for research use. Materials may be accessed by request at Special Collections and University Archives in Seidman House. Materials do not circulate.
For information on copyright or permissions for this collection, contact Grand Valley State University Special Collections.
Republican Congressman Harold (Hal) Sawyer represented Michigan's Fifth District in the U.S. Congress from 1977 to 1984. The California native served in the Navy during WWII, worked in Grand Rapids law firm Warner, Norcross & Judd, and served on the Michigan Law Revision Commission before his election to Congress. He served on three Congressional Committees: Judiciary, Veterans' Affairs, and Merchant Marine and Fisheries. He also served on the Select Committee on Assassinations investigating the John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King assassinations. Sawyer retired in 1984 at the end of the 98th Congress. He died in Kent County, Michigan in 2003.
87.0 Linear feet (6 cartons, 385 boxes)
Language of Materials
Arranged in 9 series: 1) Photographs, visual and audio materials; 2) Survey files; 3) Committee files; 4) Legislative files; 5) Subject files; 6) News releases and clippings; 7) Redistricting litigation; 8) Constituent correspondence files; and 9) Artifacts
Access to audio/video may be restricted due to format.
Preservica Internal URL
Preservica Public URL
Source of Acquisition
Acquired from Congressman Harold Sawyer in 1984.
- Assassination -- Investigation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grand Rapids (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawyers -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legislators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Michigan -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Congress. House Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Congress. House. Select Committee on Assassinations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Harold Samuel Sawyer Congressional papers, RHC-01
- Special Collections & University Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note