Frank J. Schulte papers
The Frank J. Schulte collection documents the history and the progress of civil service in Grand Rapids. The documents include information from Grand Rapids and other cities in Michigan, budget reports, civil service board files, Public Administration reports from Afghanistan, newspaper clipping and other information regarding civil service.
- Schulte, Frank J. (Person)
Access to Materials
Collection is open for research use. Materials may be accessed by request at Special Collections and University Archives in Seidman House. Materials do not circulate.
For information on copyright or permissions for this collection, contact Grand Valley State University Special Collections.
Frank J. Schulte is known as the Father of Civil Service in Grand Rapids, Michigan due to his hard work and dedication as chief examiner of the civil service department for the city. When he came into his job at the end of World War II, there were no procedures or materials to use on civil service. Schulte worked at developing tests for different jobs based on what other states were using and by the time he retired, the civil service department had developed tests for over 200 different jobs. Schulte was also hired to work in civil service in Flint and Wyoming, and even after retirement worked as a consultant in Saginaw, Muskegon and a few other cities. He also traveled to the Middle East and worked in Afghanistan on their proposed personnel system for the royal government.
4.8 Linear feet (23 boxes)
Language of Materials
Arranged in 4 series: 1) Grand Rapids and other municipalities, 2) Professional associations and education 3) Afghanistan public administration, 4) Correspondence, news clippings and publications.
Source of Acquisition
Acquired from Frank J. Schulte on August 25, 1973.
- Afghanistan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Civil service Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grand Rapids (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Michigan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Municipal officials and employees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public service employment -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frank J. Schulte papers, RHC-06
- Special Collections & University Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note