A. Robert Kleiner papers
The A. Robert Kleiner collection documents the reapportionment of the districts in Michigan for political representation in the 1960s until the 1980s. This collection includes petitions for the Michigan Legislature, the original Austin-Kleiner plans for reapportionment in Michigan in 1964, photographs of the commission, and newspaper articles covering the reapportionment of the districts in Michigan and the court rulings on the new reapportionment.
- Kleiner, A. Robert, 1949-1982 (Person)
Access to Materials
Collection is open for research use. Materials may be accessed by request at Special Collections and University Archives in Seidman House. Materials do not circulate.
For information on copyright or permissions for this collection, contact Grand Valley State University Special Collections.
A. Robert Kleiner was a founding partner of the Kleiner, De Young, and Fayette law firm in Grand Rapids, Michigan. His practice was heavily involved with labor law. Outside of the law firm he participated in the Citizen Action, the Democratic Party, and the Commission on Legislative Apportionment. He was also a chairperson for the Michigan Democratic Party Committee on Apportionment. He twice co-authored the apportionment plans that were adopted in 1964 and 1972. Kleiner served on Grand Valley State University's the Board of Control from 1983-1987.
1.25 Linear feet (1 carton)
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Acquired ca. 1985.
- Apportionment (Election law) -- Michigan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Citizen Action (U.S.)
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Grand Rapids (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawyers -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Michigan -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- A. Robert Kleiner papers, RHC-25
- Special Collections & University Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note