Veterans History Project interviews
Collection — Box: 1-37
Collection consists of bio sheets, interviewer and interviewee releases, interview outlines or transcripts and copies cds of the videotaped interviews. Some interviewee folders may include copies of photographs, correspondence and other materials. Electronic files of the interviews are stored separately on the Grand Valley State University server.
- Grand Valley State University. History Department (Organization)
Access to Materials
Collection is open for research use. Materials may be accessed by request at Special Collections and University Archives in Seidman House. Materials do not circulate.
For information on copyright or permissions for this collection, contact Grand Valley State University Special Collections.
The GVSU Veterans History Project was established in 2006 to serve as a partner with the Library of Congress in its national effort to collect and preserve the stories of American veterans and other participants in, or witnesses to, the American experience in wartime. The scope of the project covers all conflicts from the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, from the World Wars to Iraq and Afghanistan. It includes both combat veterans and those who served in times of war or peace who did not directly experience combat. It also includes civilian witnesses to aspects of the wartime experience, including workers in war industries, aid workers, peace activists and civilian contractors. Project members conduct oral history interviews throughout West Michigan, and on occasion beyond.
15.42 Linear feet (37 boxes)
Source of Acquisition
Acquired from James Smither, GVSU History Dept. faculty and coordinator of the Grand Valley Veterans History Project.
- Afghan War, 2001 -- Personal narratives, American
- Iran Hostage Crisis, 1979-1981
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American
- Michigan -- History
- Oral histories
- Persian Gulf War, 1991 -- Personal narratives, American
- United States -- History, Military
- United States. Air Force
- United States. Army
- United States. Navy
- Video tapes
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Personal narratives, American
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American
- Veterans History Project interviews, RHC-27
- Special Collections & University Archives
- Description rules
- Language of description