Honors Institute for Young Scientists (HIFYS) scrapbook
Scrapbook includes articles and photographs of the Honors Institute for Young Scientists (HIFYS). The scrapbook contains photos of students and instructors during classroom and recreational activities.
- Honors Institute for Young Scientists (Honors Institute for Young Scholars) (Organization)
- Grand Valley State University (Organization)
Access to Materials
Collection is open for research use. Materials may be accessed by request at Special Collections and University Archives in Seidman House. Materials do not circulate.
For information on copyright or permissions for this collection, contact Grand Valley State University Special Collections.
The Honors Institute for Young Scientists was a competitive scholarship program for high school juniors and seniors in the Grand Rapids area. Applicants in the upper quarter of their class scholastically were eligible if they, passed a standardized achievement test, and obtained a teacher recommendation. Students could choose to study physics, chemistry, or mathematics under top professors. Approximately 70 students per year participated in the program. Sessions were held at East Grand Rapids High School for six weeks in the summer, and included a field trip to the University of Michigan. Originally, the program received private funding; however, in 1959 the University of Michigan began sponsorship and the National Science Foundation provided a grant for the program's continuation. The program expanded to include approximately 12 states in the selection process by 1962. In 1966, Grand Valley State College took over the program. Changing its name to the Honors Institute for Young Scholars, the program offered more fields of study including biology, American history, and creative writing.
0.9 Linear feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Acquired with University Archives accession 77-11 (Media Relations).
Alternative Format Available
This scrapbook has been digitized and is available electronically in our Digital Collection.
- East Grand Rapids (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Files (Records) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grand Rapids (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Science -- Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Michigan
- Honors Institute for Young Scientists (HIFYS) scrapbook, RHC-38
- Special Collections & University Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Grand Valley State University Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1 Campus Drive
Allendale MI 49401 United States