Grand Rapids Boat and Canoe Club scrapbooks
Collection — Box: 1
Two scrapbooks of newsclippings, photographs, postcards, and ephemera of the Grand Rapids Boat and Canoe Club. Photos were taken at regattas on Reeds Lake; the Grand River; Peoria, Illinois; and in Chicago of club members, and events. Historical articles, reports of regatta events, and articles featuring members Charles McQuewan and Jack Corbett are included. Programs include the First Grand Regatta on Great Salt Lake 1888, and Peoria Rowing Festival, and banquet and music programs and the GR Log, a publication of the Grand Rapids Boat and Canoe Club. Materials from the Central States Amater Rowing Association, and the National Association of Amateur Oarsmen are also included.
- McQuewan, Charles (Compiler, Person)
Access to Materials
Collection is open for research use. Materials may be accessed by request at Special Collections and University Archives in Seidman House. Materials do not circulate.
For information on copyright or permissions for this collection, contact Grand Valley State University Special Collections.
The club was formed in 1884 under the name Owashtanong Boat Club and housed at Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was disbanded in 1900 and re-established in 1902 as the Grand Rapids Boat and Canoe Club by Charlie McQuewan. Masonic Country Club of Western Michigan…The club competed in regattas and other competitions throughout the central Midwest. It did not possess the financial backing and equipment of its primary rivals, the Detroit and the Chicago clubs. Its colors were maroon and white.
0.5 Linear feet (1 box)
Source of Acquisition
Acquired from Paul Springer in 2010.
- Boats and boating Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Canoes and canoeing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Corbet, John F.
- Grand Haven (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grand Rapids Boat and Canoe Club
- Michigan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Owashtanong Boat Club
- Reeds Lake (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rowing clubs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grand Rapids Boat and Canoe Club scrapbooks, RHC-54
- Special Collections & University Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description