Irvine McColl World War I correspondence
Typed transcriptions of correspondence from Archibald Irvine McColl to his parents Dr. John and Ella Kate McColl, his brother Alexander; and handwritten letters to his aunt Hattie and uncle George Irvine, and to a friend Isadore Apted. Letters were written to his family while at the University of Michigan, and to his family and friend while he was in the service, in Columbus Ohio, Waco, Texas and primarily in France. Also includes newspaper articles about his son Alexander McColl, a Vietnam veteran.
- McColl, Archibald Irvine (Person)
Access to Materials
Collection is open for research use. Materials may be accessed by request at Special Collections and University Archives in Seidman House. Materials do not circulate.
For information on copyright or permissions for this collection, contact Grand Valley State University Special Collections.
Archibald Irvine McColl was born 2 May 1893. McColl was the son of Dr. John A. and Ella Kate McColl of Grand Rapids, Michigan. McColl received his A.B. from the University of Michigan in 1917, and enlisted in the Army that year. He was a Sergeant in Battery C in the 119th Field Artillery from 1917-1919 and served in France. He died 9 May 1981.
1.0 Linear feet (1 box and 1 flat box)
Language of Materials
Arranged in 2 series: 1) Correspondence 2) Newspaper articles.
Source of Acquisition
Acquired from Anne McColl Forslund and Carl Forslund, 18 Jan. 2012.
Existence and Location of Originals
Originals in private hands.
Most newspapers were discarded due to fragile condition and availability on microfilm, and some were kept for exhibits or relevance to the author. Famous Regiments of the British Army, by W.H. Davenport Adams, 1868 was removed from collection and cataloged in the library’s Rare books. Transcription is incomplete.
- Columbus (Ohio) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- France Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grand Rapids (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army
- University of Michigan
- World War, 1914-1918 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Irvine McColl World War I correspondence, RHC-59
- Special Collections & University Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note