Cyril Lixenberg papers
Collection consists primarily of photographs of the artist and his work, exhibit programs and catalogs , news clippings and articles, correspondence with galleries, and a videotaped interviews and exhibits.
- Lixenberg, Cyril (Person)
Access to Materials
Collection is open for research use. Materials may be accessed by request at Special Collections and University Archives in Seidman House. Materials do not circulate.
For information on copyright or permissions for this collection, contact Grand Valley State University Special Collections.
Cyril Lixenberg was born in Londons East End on July 5, 1932. He was one of 12 children of Annie (Sussman) and Morris Lixenberg. At age 14 Cyril was apprenticed to a gold and silversmith. He attended the London Central School of Arts & Crafts where he studied painting and graphic arts. He traveled throughout Europe and settled in Amsterdam in 1958. After the war until 1970, he used his Hebrew name, Shalom. He married Saskia Thomas in 1964. His landscape paintings were increasingly influenced by WWII and Vietnam, and then in a shift from abstract expressionism to geometric abstraction turned to making monoprints and silkscreen prints. Commissions to create art for buildings led to art in steel, poured concrete, and earthworks, and sculptures in plexiglass, stainless steel and COR-TEN steel and from this a focus on outdoor public art. An exhibit at the University of Michigan brought Cyril to Michigan where he made the connection with Grand Valley State Universitys Art Gallery Director. In 2013, Grand Valley produced a retrospective of his work and, through a major donation of his early work, received the distinction of owning the largest collection of Lixenbergs work in the world. Lixenberg died in January 11, 2015 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
3.0 Linear feet (6 boxes and 4 flat boxes)
Format of some videos prevent viewing until they are digitized.
Source of acquisition
Acquired from Cyril Lixenberg in 2013.
- Artists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- England Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Expatriate artists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grand Valley State University
- Netherlands Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Painters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sculptors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cyril Lixenberg papers, RHC-79
- Special Collections & University Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description