Civil War era cartes-de-visite album
Civil War era cartes-de-visite family album of unknown origin. Identified images only of Stonewall Jackson, and Gen. G. T. Beauregard and commercial prints of Com. Hollis and carte-de-visite of plant. Leather-bound carte-de-visite album with brass clasp. Oval or rectangular cut-out pages include hand painted Stars and Bars Confederate flag in first page; 9 full-portrait carte-de-visites of 3 men, 4 women, and 2 pairs; 16 head shots of 10 men and 6 women. Also included are 9 tintypes in Cartouche cards (ca. 1863), of 2 women, 1 man, and 5 children, and one full portrait of child standing on chair. Most photo studios are in Baltimore, Maryland.
- ca. pre-1870
Access to Materials
Collection is open for research use. Materials may be accessed by request at Special Collections and University Archives in Seidman House. Materials do not circulate.
For information on copyright or permissions for this collection, contact Grand Valley State University Special Collections.
0.75 Linear feet (1 album in 1 box)
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Acquired from Harvey E. Lemmen.
- Carte de visite photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photography -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Civil War era cartes-de-visite album, RHC-84
- Special Collections & University Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note