Silas Seekles Lee papers
Scope and Contents
Collection of five letters and a map of pioneer Michigan lumberman Silas Seekles Lee (1820-1903) concerning his lumbering interest in the areas of Tuscola and East Saginaw, Michigan; and other lumbering interest as a shareholder in the Tittabawassee Boom Company, Midland County and Montcalm County between December 21, 1863 and September 19, 1864. The letters concern the lumbering issues Lee encountered, including settling of deals and accounts, low water levels in the rivers and the accordingly slow pace of work, the difficulty of finding men and the problems of men in relation to the draft, and encounters with Native Americans. The hand-drawn map depicts the intersection of Ionia & Mackinaw State Road and Saint-Louis & Big Rapids State Road in Stanton, Michigan, with landmarks including Dickenson Lake, Dickenson Creek, Derby Lake, Gilmore Road, Wheeler's Saw Mill, Rider's Mill, and Fish Creek. The collection also contains one check issued in Flint for $300, dated January 26, 1866 and one receipt from Moses W. Field and Co. Wholesale of Detroit, dated November 1865.
- 1863 - 1866
- Lee, Silas Seekles, 1820-1903 (Person)
Access to the Materials
Collection is open for research use. Materials may be accessed by request at Special Collections and University Archives in Seidman House. Materials do not circulate.
Silas Seekles Lee (1820-1903) was a pioneer Michigan lumberman. A shareholder in the Tittabawassee Boom Company, Lee had lumbering intersts in Tuscola, East Saginaw, Midland, and Montcalm Counties.
0.1 Linear feet (1 oversize folder)
- East Saginaw (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lumber trade Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Michigan -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Midland County (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Montcalm County (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Native Americans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tittabawassee Boom Company
- Tuscola County (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Silas Seekles Lee papers
- Letters and map of a Michigan Lumberman
- Annie Benefiel
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description